Need an FASD Assessment?
What you need to know:
- Only a physician can diagnose Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) partial fetal alcohol syndrome (pFAS), Alcohol Related Birth Defects (ARFB), or Alcohol Related Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ARND). These diagnoses fall under the umbrella term of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). This is often a specialty for physicians who have taken specific training for FASD diagnosis.
- An FASD assessment requires two professionals: a psychologist who can complete FASD-based psychological testing required for the physician, and a physician who is trained in diagnosing FASD.
At the Regina Community Clinic’s FASD Centre, we specialize in assessing older teens and adults.
The process for FASD assessments and diagnosis takes time because a variety of information about the client’s biological family, medical history, and social history is required. At the clinic, the FASD manager will work with you to help gather needed information:
- permission to gather information may include birth records, psychological reports, psychiatric reports
- information from other involved professionals (teachers, physicians, service providers, etc)
- family medical history and social history
- whenever possible we would like to talk to the birth mother and any other caregivers, who are directly involved in the well-being of the person being assessed.
When all the information is collected, then it will be forwarded to the psychologist to start the FASD assessment process.
When an FASD assessment is completed, the physician and the FASD case manager can meet with the client and caregivers to discuss the findings and recommendations of the assessment. Naturally, this requires consent of the client.
Once an understanding of the assessment is in place, the FASD case manager can continue to be a resource for the client in order to develop long-term, practical action and support plans for the client as he/she moves through the various systems (i.e. justice, education, employment).
Contact Cheryl at 543-7880 ext 268 or email@example.com for more information regarding assessments.